Happenstance

It's a story of randomness, really, our lives. No matter how we think we've calculated our every move and figured out the trajectory of our course, we almost always end up with those little surprises, pleasant or nasty -- but for now let's focus on the good stuff. Partly because it's 4:06AM and I'm feeling reflective, and partly because Joseph is still high on Rachael Yamagata's lovely, lovely music.

Rachael's 2004 album is entitled Happenstance, and aside from it being awesome and dare-I-say-it sublime (haha Huai Zhi recently pointed out to me how some people use the word 'sublime' for no good reason, say to describe the WOMAD festival events, but of course I know better), it's just inspiring, really.

And I just love the title 'Happenstance'. It's an artsy way of describing a chance happening or event, or coincidence; it's the amalgamation of "happening" and "circumstance". And for a Statistics major and English Studies minor like me, the word is a product of two of my favorite things: creative wordplay and the brilliant idea of chance (or likelihood, or probability if you will).

* * *

Maybe I'm posting this because I'm pretty much caught off-guard right now. And that's a good thing, I suppose, because I'm still able to find some surprises in the increasingly routinary motions of University life, or, okay, life in general. Maybe it's being twenty-one, and wanting to jumpstart life like I've never done before, maybe it's the Final Year thing that gets me thinking about the imminent jobhunt or post-grad or the youth I'm not ready to let go of just yet. Or, maybe it's just the Honours Year Project, my undone labs and tutorials for the week, and the editing and writing for The Ridge. But I digress. What I'm really saying is that for all the bouts of blah-ness and sian-ness ('sian', pronounced /sien/ is Singlish for 'jaded'), I'm still up and about, on the lookout for my next pleasant surprise.

I pretty much thought I'd have the past few months and the coming ones figured out, from my internship, to NUS Choir, to Honours Year modules, to The Ridge, to my part-time job at SELF, and even to lunchmates and dinnermates and mugging-mates and friends, both offline and online, both in Singapore and in the Philippines. But I sit here and recount my experiences for the past few weeks, and realize that it's been an interesting leg in my as-yet destinationless journey. And that makes me smile.

* * *

I've had to loosen my grip and sever some ties, adjust my footing to secure my grounding, take back my unacknowledged outstretched hand, and yet I've also learned to look around, to hang on tightly to those I've taken for granted, to be more watchful of the things that have gone unnoticed or undiscovered for the longest time, to be patient and accepting of random junk hurled my way, and to be welcoming to new faces and friends and more surprises(!) as I take the plunge into as-yet untested waters.

* * *

It's 5:10AM, and this blog entry took an hour and four minutes to write! Quite unbelievable I realize, but since I rarely blog nowadays, I think it's time well spent (although yeah, I must learn to write faster).

I'm still smiling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life will always have happenstances! But in God's loving providence, the surprises can always be happy! With the power of your intellect and will, they can even be fun! Happy journey, Partner!