Wistful Thinking

Final year in the University is really something eh? I don't know if it's the same thing for everyone, but this final semester has really pushed me to the edge. Amidst the mountain of school tasks I had to clear, I found myself tempted to raise my hands in resignation and quit; and that's something -- the Joseph I know never quits.

(For the record, Joseph being Joseph, he didn't quit eventually. That midterm test he threatened to throw, he actually screwed up anyway. That sucked, of course, but at least he can still say he tried his best.)

* * *

Incidentally, that test was for Stochastic Processes 2. For the uninitiated, allow me to introduce you to it. I have this theory that it is summed in this sentence, as phrased by my lecturer: Given the present, the past is of no significance to the future. That involves conditional probabilities actually, which I won't discuss. The process has this interesting "memoryless" property.

I'm inclined to consider that, actually, life as we know it, may be a stochastic process. Given the present, the past is of no significance to the future. Memoryless, perhaps? Because, really, isn't the now what's really important, and okay, maybe we can look back to the past and indulge in sweet remembrance, but does the future depend on it?

This leads to another question: what is now? Is today now? Isn't yesterday still too close to the present, and may still be within the now range? I'm tempted to throw in the theory of optimal bandwidth selection in my Nonparametric Statistics module, but I won't. Hehe.

Bottom line is, I think it is possible that life may be a stochastic process. And that's when Joseph turns slightly emo. Because Joseph's now as he knows it, is going to take a different turn soon, and he isn't quite ready to let go of it just yet.

* * *

Maybe it's the cold weather (my perennial excuse), or the weight of the schoolwork before me, or maybe it's just the final year thing, that's making me feel slightly funny. Wistful is too emo a word, but I guess that's the closest I could find. It's the jobhunt thing, and how I never quite got it going because of school stuff. It's the places thing -- I get attached to places. Like the Central Forum, where I am now, where I've done several all-nighters with several different people. My secret study places, the libraries, my classrooms and lecture theatres, my meeting rooms, my bedrooms, four of them spanning four residences in five years, and even the places I've at least left my slipper-marks on.

And don't get me started on the people. I'm a sucker for friendships. I'm easy that way. Whether you hate me or you don't care, I'm gonna miss you when I'm gone. You like, I like, come I'll be a fantastic friend. And yeah, of course you'll miss me when I'm gone. Haha.

* * *

Memoryless. I never liked the word in our class. But it's true, for the most part. Everyone's bound to forget, eventually. We can only hold on for so long, till we get tired and lazy and busy to remember and run out of things in common and things to say, and ultimately, we forget.

And then the now of today becomes the past, which, if the theory of stochastic processes is to be believed, eventually becomes irrelevant.

So while the now is here, I'm going to try make the most of it. It's sad I can't quite do as much as I could, thanks to the tasks still at hand, trust that I'm doing my best. Sayang lang, I wish I'd this and that earlier -- but that's the irrelevant past now.

* * *

One last question: why do my posts always end up taking an emo turn? Haha maybe I shouldn't be too transparent, and at 2:27AM, maybe it's time to leave the Central Forum and have a good night's rest. Good morning blogosphere, and good night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haiz...so emo...haiz...

Anonymous said...

omg clirard paul?! from aj choir?!

-charlotte

piggy said...

Dear Joseph (: all the more you should come out from your hiding. I miss you... I knew from the start Joseph would make it through, he did. And my dream, was just silly. Take care, meet up soon ok? hugs.