Whew

Whew

Now I can breathe again. Thank God for giving me the transcription job, but I'm feeling a wee bit more thankful now that it's over.

Basically, the job entailed I listen to hours and hours of speeches in two workshops by the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), one on access to justice, and another on environment and sustainable development. My initial reaction was that the job was peanuts. Come on, I'm the one who watches 40-minute TV shows on my PC like Desperate Housewives and The OC for sometimes as long as an hour and a half, because of my habit of rewinding and rewinding the file until I get the FULL dialogue. I derive a good deal of satisfaction out of it for some reason, but the downside is that it eats up a big chunk of time. Anyway, for someone who pays meticuloius attention to words being said in an event (it takes forever for me to watch a movie on DVD or VCD), this transcription job was easy money baby.

As it turned out, the transcription job ate into my mugging time, my free time, ate through my weekend, and crept into the wee hours of the morning. The speakers were from Asia and Europe, see, and it was good enough if they had prepared speeches, but by golly, when they went to the microphone to have a thorough discussion of the topics presented, I thought I could very well have been in the Tower of Babel. Accents from German, Cambodian, Chinese, Italian, American, and even Filipino greeted me as my fingers scrambled to catch up. Many times I had to play "sounds-like" to decipher what was said exactly, sometimes I had to Google to make sense of acronyms, and also when this bigshot UN guy Toepfer mentioned Nobel Peace Prize Laureate "Wangari Maathai", who introduced the Japanese concept of "mottainai" in her environmental projects.. seriously, it's not just listening to ordinary words man. It's the kind of intellectual lingo that involves research! Needless to say, the job drained the life out of me, and I had to ask for an extension too. (Thank God Ira of ASEF agreed :P )

Anyway, so what have I been missing? Haha, blogging I guess. Blogging about V-day, if that counts. Blogging about my birthday! Haha yes yes it's impossible for me to not blog it, so you can just TELL I was really busy. Busiest days of my life, seriously. I couldn't even rest a while to relax myself.

But of course the Version 2_0 post will come up soon. That's me finally venturing into the twentysomething world (technically it's still twenty-nothing but what the heck).

And oh yeah, because of my transcription job I had to give up writing an article for the March issue of the Ridge. I wanted to write, seriously, because it's already difficult enough to get published, what more in the final issue of the year, in April, where all the Outspoken desk writers will presumably turn in something (that's according to my desk editor Asraf).

Hmm.. but in other writing news, I went for this Straits Times focus group discussion at UCC. It was cool man, learned a lot from the VP of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), and got a lot of premium Dome goodies like muffins and tarts and good coffee (cheapskate) and a goodie bag which includes a cool Straits Times metal water bottle with a nice rubbery whatchamacallit case, and a commemorative coffee table book, 160 years of Straits Times, which is loaded with all these historical and cool pictures, yep among others.

And, still on writing news, my article for KR Hall Bulletin Board is up! It's the Anti-Valentine's Day issue, and mine's on page 7, I think. Haha. Check it out here. The Ridge is a different story of course, because for one, the editors are selective, and I found it pretty neat that they chose my article for the January issue after well, a long wait. Haha. There's no online version methinks, but maybe I'll post my article up here sometime.

And in music news, NUS Choir is singing a Beatles medley! Haha was I overjoyed when I learned we'll be singing the Beatles! Haha, never mind if we had too many songs already, I think this was needed to bring in more oomph to the repertoire. So yep yep, come come to Varsity Voices 2006, An Evening of Flower Songs, by the NUS Choir. It's on the 4th of March, 7:30 PM at the University Cultural Centre Hall.

Haha, can't you just tell I'm bursting with a lot of things to say? Haha. I'm beat, but that can't stop me from spurting away gibberish man. I'm just thinking of the $400 slave labour payment that will soon make its way to my bank account. Haha, finally a birthday gift to self. Ciao! Must get muggin'!