Smorgasbord

Smorgasbord

Yeah man, another update. About time too eh?

The current status of my head is like that of my room: a terrible mess. I've been oh-so-slowly trying to clear up my room (and there's progress, believe it or not), but as for the mess in my head, I guess it would do me good to vanquish some mind monsters by blogging them all out. :)

* * *

Speaking of my head, I've just had the worst headache of my life lately. In the plane too, of all places. So after a domestic flight earlier during the day, there I was in the Jetstar Asia plane, a good two and a half hours into the flight, when the headache hit me. Wah man, it stung like hell. Like my the pressure in the cabin was pushing my skull inward in all directions to squeeze in my brain. And my brain, being the smart thingy that it is, naturally responded by countering the pressure. Bad for Joshie, though, and he got this sick feeling of his head about to burst.

Then later, as the pilot's voice was heard on the speakers announcing our descent to Singapore, the headache turned to this piercing sensation right smack in the middle of my head. But nope, it wasn't as simple as it was, because soon it was spreading over my head like I dunno, oil or shampoo being poured over me. Seriously, I could even sense the direction of the headache as it creeped from the front to the back to the sides and finally circling my head. That bad, really. It was so bad in fact, that I did Our Father Hail Mary Glory Be until the plane touched down. I wouldn't have been surprised if I found my skull bleeding actually, but thankfully that wasn't the case. Phew.

Oh please Lord don't let it please be migraine. Dad and my sister Kai have it, and for many years I have been thankfully spared, and oh no I don't wish to suffer like them, 'cos I can tell from my sister's headaches that migraine hurts BAD.

I've had a bad headache again over the weekend, with considerably less intensity, but hopefully that's just due to fatigue.

* * *

Speaking of my sister, haha I've recently been posting our wacky pics, just me and her, as my display pic on MSN. Haha dunno what got into me and I posted them, but pretty cute really. I even posted one of the pics as my profile pic on Friendster. Hehe. And oh yeah, I've rediscovered Friendster! Haha it's been a long time baby. And ooh, found nice surprises in my inbox over the weekend. :)

Now my display pic is of me and Karen at Matina Town Square on the eve of her 20th birthday in December. Pretty cute too! Karen and Jasper have pretty potentially scandalous pics too of them. Hehe that was a nice dinner with Karen and Jay, really... too bad we morons forgot to take any picture of the three of us together!

Hmm.. Maybe I should post pics here sometime.

* * *

Oh yeah, I've been thinking I haven't really given justice to significant events that happened to me lately. Justice in terms of chronicling them at least. Haha maybe I should dump all my pics in Flickr or some photo-sharing service and display them all here. I've got dozens of super pics of NUS Choir in Shah Alam, and my December holiday pics in Davao, and heck, even the Czech Republic pics in June! Haha I'm such a sloth.

* * *

I never got around to talk about my new modules this sem much, much less about the tada, grades I got last sem. Haha. I don't intend to post them grades here for well, not-so-secret reasons, but suffice it to say that they were strange.

Strange because the module I didn't really pay much attention to turned out to be an A, and the core modules I worked my ass off for, turned out blah. I was like, "Huh?" when the grades screen flashed. An easy A, and hard-fought B's. Well, thank God for the A! My grades weren't bad really.. I just knew I could've done better. And I could have avoided this particularly BAD grade.. from what else, that Calculus module I was ranting about last sem. And since it can be said anyway, I got this A from my lone English module last sem, the one about linguistics. I can't help but notice that once again, my good grades come courtesy of my English modules, in contrast with my Statistics modules. But that's all right, my Stats modules aren't too bad. :)

This sem, though, it's gonna be a pumped up sem for me, in terms of module intensity. I missed EN2113 Reading Film and Cultural Texts because of the outrageous bid points, so in place I'm taking EL2101 Structure of Sentences and Meanings. Yep linguistics again, but please please let there be essays this sem!

I'm taking, surprise surprise, MA1104 Multivariable Calculus! Haha I thought I was done with Calculus modules but no sir, I need this module to take Financial Mathematics next semester and the one after that. I hope this is a good decision though, taking Financial Mathematics. I hope that my Financial Mathematics will complement nicely my Business Minor. :)

What else, oh yeah, the killer Statistics core modules! ST3131 Regression Analysis and ST3234 Actuarial Statistics. These modules are confirmed hardcore, and I will need intensive and extensive mugging time for them. But don't they sound good? Hehe Actuarial Stats is tough, from the looks of it, but it's more fun than the other Stats modules, 'cos we now talk about money and investment and insurance.. actual tangible moolah stuff. Haha pretty cool.

And then the Business modules of course. I'm doing FNA1002 Financial Accounting and DSC2006 Operations Management. Financial Accounting is ok lah, seems the fun technical dorky stuff, but that's essential for making money! Operations Management is being taught by this nice charismatic lecturer, who one can tell is rather good. At least he's head of some great big NUS projects in the Business school and some soon-to-come NUS campus to be built in China. Haha I love NUS. Anyway, I don't really feel for Operations Management yet, well, partly maybe because I don't know anyone taking the module with me (except Dan Sim from KR but he's with his friends), and hmph, I spent a good fortune of points for this module that I could have very well spent to get my film module! Hehe no regrets of course.

* * *

I could rant on about the stuff that's been keeping me busy lately, including covering the IHG Volleyball games of KR Hall, and consequently developing supreme respect for sportswriters (I know Newswriting, which is supposed to be related, but sportswriting is a different ball game I daresay), and the resumption of NUS Choir and KR activities, but nah, I think this entry has been lengthy enough. And no pics too! Haha once I get some free disk space and more free time I promise!

Anyway, life is good and although a lot of work is waiting to be done, I'm just taking it slowly, one bite at a time. Cheers!