Spring Cleaning

Spring Cleaning

As anyone who knows me can tell, I'm not the un-messy type of person. That doesn't sound very good, actually, so let's just say I have, well, low standards of cleanliness and order. Hygiene is different, I'm high on that, but what I'm talking about is some general sense of structure and system and order.

I remember that in the madness that is the exams, I wouldn't mind sleeping with stacks of lecture notes and miscellaneous formula sheets lying around my bed. So many, in fact, that I have to curl myself to fit in the bed. My PC is messed up too, now with only 70MB of free space, thanks to 9GB of mp3's, a lot of camera pics and whatnot. And when my desktop gets cluttered with files once in a while, I attempt to clean them up. Thus I have folders called, "Desktopdump", "Recent", "Junk", "Recentjunk", "For Sorting". Haha they're dumpsites, really, but at least my desktop's neater now thanks to them. I think I've reached "Desktopdump3" and "Recentjunk3" already. Hahaha. But hey, at least there's an attempt to separate one mess from another. That's the first step baby.

* * *

I'm saying this 'cos I have decided to start the long overdue clean-up process, beginning with my room. This weekend is going to be a long one, thanks to the Lunar New Year, which is a big thing for the Chinese in Singapore. And so it's going to be a four-day weekend, which is quite a break I personally need.

So, finally yesterday, I got down to cleaning up my floor. That's a big thing, and I'm mighty proud to see and feel the floor smooth and squeaky clean now. I did a thorough sweeping of all the corners and difficult spots, and got down to good old mopping. Hehe it feels good on the toes. It's Mama who does the floors at home, and when she finishes, she would go to me and Kai to say she has a "gift" for us, and Kai and I would roll our eyes and say, "Yeah, clean floor". Or "clean house". Haha been taking that for granted I realize. Hello Mother if you're reading. :)

Dad also tells me and Kai to get organized. He tells us to have a place for everything, and have everything in its place. Seems simple, come to think of it, but I don't know. Haha I may be more strongly hit by the slug bug than I like to admit. I'll work on sorting my room out Dad, don't worry. :)

Anyway, room clean-up is still in progress. I'll do my laundry soon, and I have since yesterday working on the stuff in the cabinets and on shelves and tables and the bed headboard. I figure I can do my mugging better when my room's a more welcoming place.

* * *

But the thing I'd most likely love to spring clean is that murky place inside my head. It's gonna be a long break, and I would have time to accomplish many things, including my tutorials and readings, but also, I would have time to think. Think about the monsters in my head, and how to vanquish them.

No I'm not as demented as I may appear to sound, but I just want a little more fresh air to circulate in my head. I hope to get to thinking of what I want to do in my life, what I have done and what I'm currently doing in the two decades I've been around. I guess there's that part of me that's missing people too, and I don't know what to do about that. And there's that part of my head that's nagging me about the urgent work that has to be done, and I need to hush it up by doing my tasks. Basically I feel funny, and I need to get this settled somehow.

I don't blame government leaders and people of responsibility why they cannot, for the longest time, put some peace and order into the world. I myself struggle to sort my personal issues and my immediate surroundings, and it's not peanuts, I tell you.

If there's anything we all should do during this long weekend, Chinese and non-Chinese alike (including all other nationalities celebrating the Lunar New Year), it's definitely spring cleaning. On many different levels.