ANYWAY

I've read something somewhere about a poem or a life strategy (ala Dr Phil and Stephen Covey) that talks about doing things ANYWAY.

you know what I mean. When shit happens, do your stuff anyway. When the world blacks out, your house burns down, you slip off a building, you cut your finger off by accident, you get locked in the elevator for days, you swallow the entire wishbone (you get the drift), what the heck -- do the good stuff anyway.

i think it's brilliant. soemthing we all should do. it's hard, but do it ANYWAY. we just keep walking, or running, whichever way you pace your life.

ANYWAY, pardon my random ramblings. that's what you get from me at 3:51 in the morning actually. hehe.

yesterday was a good day. the day before it, stressful but ultimately manageable.

the other day was packed. i had to do a medical checkup early in the morning, and was more than surprised to be requested to have a repeat urine test because of some trace of blood. freaked me a little actually. but grace under pressure allowed me to fumble a cheery "no problem!" to the nurse.

right after the checkup, i rushed to the orientation for international freshmen (Even if we took a similar one last year, Ms Tan of the Ofc of Admissions insisted we attend). it was to start at 9:30am, the time when my checkup ended. i took the bus, rushed into the big hall, and took a seat. i looked around for my fellow ex-bridging scholars, and SMSed Kor and Ivy for their whereabouts in the hall. turned out i was alone! the cambodian scholars finally arrived, but still, i was the only pinoy in the whole group of about 700(?) or more.  

the roll call of the countries began. lots of them from mainland china, as well as the usual big groups of malaysians and indians. the humorous emcee and head of the Ofc of Student Affairs then rattled off the countries in SEAsia, the usual scholars. Afterwards, he asked the big group if their were any other countries represented. Hands shot up gamely, as everyone was in a light mood. "Which country are you from?" the emcee would ask. "Nepal!" a person shouted from his seat in the upper rings of the large amphitheater-like hall. Round of Applause. There were some small groups who got up to be recognized, but to some who were alone, the emcee even asked the name. "Korea!" a guy shouted from the middle column. I forgot his name though.

"Any more countries?" the emcee asked after everyone seemed to be recognized. Mustering all courage, I was about to raise my hand when he remembered. "Anyone from the Philippines?" It was my cue to raise my hand, as the other students looked behind them to see me in the upper rows. I looked around, still hoping my friends were just hiding somewhere, but nah. "What's your name?" "Joseph" I said, as loud as my persistent cough would allow. "Pardon?" The other students, who had just turned to look at the emcee, gave me a second look. "JOSEPH. JOSEPH." i shouted again. "I'm sorry?" came the puzzled reply. This time some international students were saying my name aloud so the emcee could hear. "Kindly use the mic please." I was flustered, but of course, had to be calm under pressure. I walked a few feet towards the mic, and said my name. Then the game applause.

Later, the head of the International Relations Comittee (IRC) of the Students Union addressed the crowd. I recognized him as Neeraj, an Indian who I had the chance to meet in last year's food fair. He proceeded to invite the studes to join the IRC. "Come join, there are several of us international students there. Some Filipinos -- many Filipinos in fact --" That was true, I thought, as a bunch of my Pinoy seniors participated actively in that comm. "So Joseph --" I was completely thrown aback, at this second recognition by the speaker, the turning of heads making me melt like cheese "--you should come and join too." I managed a small nod and a feeble smile.

Yesterday afternoon, the freshmen orientation team of Kent Ridge Hall, gave the foreign students a small tour of Singapore, and sponsored a sumptous dinner with some 8 or more dishes at a restaurant in Ginza Plaza. As I was introducing myself to my Nisha, an Indian girl, "Oh! I know you. You're the Filipino yesterday at the orientation." Some 5 of them recognized me from the other day, and although I felt a bit scandalized and embarrassed, it was a good way to start the conversation going with my new hallmates. The KR people are extremely friendly too, and i can tell that it's the genuine type of "friendly".  I'm looking forward to orientation next week.



No comments: