Some things

Some Things

Whew. That was quite a while since my last post. I can't believe I found it quite empowering NOT to blog. It was freedom, in a weird sort of way, and it showed that I can show a decent degree of self-control and a sense of responsibility. But now that the killer Probability test is over, three choir performances successfully done, I can give myself a breather, however short, so I can blog for a while. Not as frequent, I must emphasize, since I still am as loaded with work as ever.


Something Cute

I love my avatar in the NUS Choir forum! It's also my MSN display pic, although it's not animated there. I actually ripped it from the blog of newly-elected Ridge Chief Ed Nurul (yey congrats again!).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hee. That's actually Calvin (of Calvin & Hobbes) gagging. Quite cool eh? Found it hilarious. The first few images of the animation can be seen to show Calvin singing or something (partly the reason I used it in the choir forum), but ends up with him throwing up and passing out. Haha.


Something Stressful

What else but Thursday's Probability midterm test! Which, btw, was the day after AMPLITUDE, the combined concert of NUS hall choirs and a cappella groups + NUS Choir at LT13, which was just 4 days right after our Varsity Voices Concert!

Stressful times I tell you, and more so when one isn't in quite a happy mood due to factors other than the activities themselves.

But I managed to get through all those in one piece -- tired, yes, but most content and fulfilled.

I wanted to donate blood for the Red Cross (like the way I did last year right when I had my 18th birthday), but I had to pass since I knew I needed energy for the intensive work the week required. Maybe I'll go with Karen when she donates to the Red Cross (through Sheares Hall) this week.

Not surprisingly, Zit Season has begun, and it shows no signs of waning in the near future.


Something Stupid

Held last Friday was the second lecture on Shakespeare's MACBETH, as part of the curriculum of my Literature module. Being the studious-wannabe, I borrowed a library book beforehand, and although constrained by the deep old English, I struggled to get past the first acts of the play. The week earlier, Dr Yeo had suggested that we had the option to watch the DVD recording of the play in the library, if our reading progress was impeded by the old language.

So right after the Probability exam, as much as I felt exhausted and tired, I made my way to the Central Library to borrow the DVD, get another copy of the script of the play, and went on for two+ hours, following the text as I was watching the movie. It was time for dinner, so I stopped at the end of Act 3 (there were 5 Acts) and headed back to KR.

The next day, I went to class confident, having read a good chunk of the book and having watched the play of Hamlet. When, suddenly, during 30 minutes into the class, a realization washed over me, I read and watched the wrong play!

Next time someone please remind me that HAMLET and MACBETH are totally different plays, and that long as I wait, the names Ophelia and Polonius and Horatio and Claudius will never pop up in the Macbeth discussion. Haizzzzz. Stupid stupid.

For a few moments I felt like a dumbass, really, wasting hours of precious time, but soon after I just laughed at myself, and joked about it with some of my acquaintances in my class (and we aren't even too buddy buddy), and some of my seniors. Hah, at least I'm glad I've learned the art of forgiving and laughing at oneself.

So for my tutorial an hour after the lecture, I ran to the library to get MACBETH, rushed to the hall to google and print a summary and breakdown of events in the play, and came prepared for the tutorial class without anyone noticing I made a serious blunder earlier. Teehee.


Something Unusual

Warning: Skip this section if you want a happy post.

Okay, so I'm sandwiching this more serious stuff here to stifle its gravity, and so many people won't be able to reach this part due to the length of the post (hah). Here is something very unusual. An apology.

I hate to bring up the Varsity Voices issue again, and would have liked to settle it with Wayne in person, and not through blogging, but since I was caught offguard by his post and I am 95% sure that Wayne would not bring it up in person, let me blog it in.

I sold 13 tickets for the VV concert, the supportive souls consisting of 11 Pinoys and 2 Malaysians. Thanks to Robs, Clint, Wayne, Arthur, Gelo, Ferron, Korinna, Jayson, Elsie (whose ticket I subsidized by 3 bucks I admit), Steph and Alds. My gratitude too, to Claire and Siokkah for coming. :D

About this "flimsiest reason in the world" issue, I told it to ROBS. This was when he told me earlier during the year that one of the reasons he was moving to another Church was because the Catholic mass requires a lot of memory work. I've apologized to Robs already a long time ago, and thankfully he didn't seem to take offense and I sincerely respect his decision to move.

About Michael, now I understand. Really.
I never said "flimsiest reason in the world" to him. Sigh. I commended his honesty when he said it was not his interest, this choir thing, and that I verbally told him, because I appreciate people being honest and direct-to-the-point so I don't waste my time and efforts. But later, what I found flimsy was Michael's reason for his constant reconsideration of his decision, as it seemed to be based on who else were going, and not because he didn't like choir concerts. But Micahel and I are okay, so that issue need not be magnified.

I need not expound too much on how unfunny the supposed joke of "forced-persuaded" was. And how "tactics" was strongly offensive, and how the blog entry dampened my spirits.

To Wayne: three things.

1) I am very glad you made some realizations, and, knowing you don't usually do this, I am pleasantly surprised that you came up with an apology.
2) Communicating in person is always better than online-sparring, and apologies are always better said.
3) Have a happy birthday.

ANYWAY, let's get back to happy normal stuff. I seriously hope many people didn't read this previous last bit. That's partly the reason I quit from NUS Chika.


Something Bigger

I have recently been appointed Records Secretary for NUS Choir. That means I'm in the EXCO now! It was a tough decision accepting it, but since I'm getting into the team spirit anyway, and since I enjoy their company and singing songs with them, I decided I might as well do something more, even if it means performing the tough task of maintaining and distributing the scores.

I am also lovin' the KR Choir more! Yey, great job for Amplitude guys! As much as the tenors can be quite difficult to manage at times, and as much as I think I'm not the perfect SL, I think we've all been singing better and feeling better about one another! And Choir spirit is getting stronger! Yey.

The Hall Master wants something bigger for International Relations Night on the 15th of March. The IRC (Int'l Relations Comm) are now pressed for more presentations and culinary delights and games and costume display of more countries. Stressssful I tell you, especially for a minor comm that is theoretically only supposed to be awarded two CCA points.

But as I like to say (okay so John Mayer says it too), I'm still bigger than my body. And of course, God is infinitely bigger than any of our biggest woes.