X

X

I've learned in my Literature classes that although the substance of a piece of work is meaningful, what is also significant (sometimes even more significant) is the absence of details, as evidenced by those pregnant pauses, those untagged quotes, or those deliberate omissions of critical events. And thus, while having an eventful and happening life can indeed lead to several blogworthy situations, sometimes the absence of an update from poor little blogger may reflect the same eventfulness, to the point that he or she is unable to blog the experiences.

(Come to think of it, that last paragraph was maybe just a lousy excuse for being a bad blogger, or.. could my blog addiction possibly be waning already? Hmm.)

I'm gonna be brief (don't trust me) since I have to get my ass off to Siglap South Community Centre at 11:30AM later for the NUS Choir's meeting with Nelson, our conductor.

Friday was eventful, finally. My perpetual clean-up and pack-up was still ongoing and, well, perpetual, and that consumed most of my day. At night though, I was in two very different places that required a different set of emotions. My blockmates Felicia, Ivan, Carol and I rode while Yishu drove us to our fellow D-blocker and my next-door neighbor Kevin's place at Bukit Timah. Her sister passed away last week, and it was the wake. It's very sad really, because her sister was very young, and she died of cancer. I thought her sister was in her late twenties, but when I looked at the casket, I learned she was only 18 (her 18th birthday in fact was the first day of the wake, the day before we came). I also just learned that her name is Kristin.

Creepy really, since my sister Kai is turning 17 at the end of the year, and her real name is Kristine. I was a bit freaked out and suddenly worried, especially that Kai has just flown to Manila to go to college in Los BaƱos, detaching herself from our parents and home. You take care, little sister. Kevin was sullen and visibly affected, so I'm sending him all my good vibes.

After the Christian ceremony and eulogy (Kevin is a Christian Chinese, so the ceremony wasn't too foreign to me as I'm Catholic), we headed back to hall. It was 11PM, and it was.. well, time for clubbing! I felt a bit guilty at first, making sudden emotional transitions, but even Grace and Yishu said it's okay and I should have fun. And I did! Ferron, Korinna and clubbing queen Karen and I went to Cocco Latte, this funky place at Robertson Quay, in the Gallery Hotel. And we being photo-loving, we took photos at this colorful bridge painted by a Filipina artist just outside, and of course, inside where all the clubbing action was! Price wasn't bad, 12 bucks entry and one free drink. The place was great. There was a posh and tastefully designed lounge downstairs with an big TV screen showing MTV, and upstairs was the clubbing area, whose walls were screaming hiphop and funk. I got a Stella Artois, Ferron got white wine, Korinna some fruit juice, and surprise of the century, Karen got Green Tea! Well, what can I say about the clubbing. Nothing really.. except that I was totally looking forward to it the entire sem?! Nothing like good ol' disco dancin' to relieve me of stress. My legs hurt from too much dancing at around 3AM, but Karen considers this clubbing her most innocent session yet. Haha. Will post photos soon.

(I realize this is getting long.. yes don't trust me when I attempt brevity.. so I'm gonna give give skimpy details on the next ones)

Saturday. Korinna, Ferron and I made up the send-off party for Ivy. She was to fly at 2:30, but she had to be at Changi Airport at 11:30. Discovered the delicious and affordable Popeye's fastfood. Went off afterwards for intensive job-hunting. I'm gonna break here since job-hunting deserves a paragraph for itself.

IT WAS FREAKIN' EXHAUSTING. It's frustrating to find that the job opportunities are limited by two simple reasons: I'm not a Singaporean or PR (Permanent Resident) and I do not speak Mandarin (many jobs in the classifieds require applicants to speak both English and Chinese). We went to the mall strip in City Hall (that's Suntec-Raffles City-Citylink-Esplanade Mall area) to check for jobs, but mostly to no avail. The guys at Delifrance, KFC, and Sizzlers at Suntec seemed pretty nice and we gave our contacts and application forms, but no confirmation yet. We went to Holland Village at night, and no part-time jobs still. Oh well.

Went back to hall and packed up again, watched a bit of OC, and slept a while. Robs' direct flight to Davao was at 8-something Sunday morning, and he planned to leave around 6AM. I was still up by 6AM, and could've gone with Robs, but I figured I might pass out in Changi due to lack of sleep, and decided to stay. It rained cats and dogs too, so all the more I was nestled in my bed.

It was Sunday already, and aha, Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day, Mama. I'm very sorry not to have contacted you. I tried, though, but Dad's phone was unreachable. I called Lola Neneng (Dad's mom), though, and nice, she just arrived from a visit to her hometown in Iloilo. I tried to call Lola Doding (Ma's mom), but nobody was picking up.. hopefully she was out with my uncle and aunt.:) In any case, I love you Ma. And my Lolas too, of course. I'd call my Lola Nene too (Lola Neneng's sister who fetched me from school through my kiddie years), but she's up there already (God bless her soul), and besides, she was hard of hearing anyway. :D Will call you Ma and Lola Doding tomorrow.

Today, Monday. First day of Choir practices. Did room clean-up and pack-up during the day (yes it really is perpetual), but I couldn't move into the other room in the other block since the occupant hasn't left yet. Settled the original scores for the Olomouc competition (part of my job as Records Sec) and at 6:30PM, we were in the midst of an intensive choir session. It's been a while since I exercised my vocal chords, so it needed some tuning. Great to see choir friends too.

At 10PM, Choir went into an intensive discussion of the extension trip after the competition in Czech. Sigh, I suddenly felt more broke. Apparently, our travel agent is really lousy and slow and may possibly be overpricing, and so we broke off into groups and decided that we'll plan the trip on our own. They planned it actually, since I'm not exactly the planner type of guy, and travel agencies give me a headache every time, even in my simple trip headed for home.

Anyway, I was sure I was going for the extension trip, as the four days in Czech seemed a bit too short, and since I was shelling out S$1500 anyway, I might as well maximize the Eurotrip. Original plan acceptable to me was the Czech-Vienna package, but apparently, the girls and the couples have clumped up for it, and sigh, my dear Basses are nowhere in sight! WeiZheng is on this amazing backpacking trip with Yi Yong, that's gonna be for three freaking weeks and gonna span a good chunk of Europe including Austria and Italy and France and Germany! Sigh, but it's for 3000 bucks. Jeremy is going to UK, but on his own. Anyway, the Czech-Vienna group expressed the reasonable sentiment that going out in big groups may be a problem for travellers (due to varied itineraries) and so I didn't feel quite comfortable there as I had no specific buddy-buddy friends. And then bam, the Czech-Italy group. Kevin from the tenors is passionate about the trip because of soccer reasons, and now a group is going with him. Two of my friendly fellow first-years in Sops are here too, so I can somehow feel more comfy here. Huai Zhi is also the friendly joker type, so that's gonna be nice. Plus, it's Italy. Sigh, suddenly I realize I've always wanted to go to Italy. The Italian food, the Colosseum (tricky spelling here), the Leaning Tower.. actually just take me on a gondola ride and I'd be good to go!

1000 bucks though. That's the ceiling money that my fellow travelmates are forking out. And that doesn't include gifts and stuff to buy. God I am so broke.

So I'm broke and jobless and exhausted and lonely and sad. Quite a combo there.

Hmm. actually there's a bit more than what gibberish I've been saying here, but I don't know, I'll just keep it to myself. Let's just mark this significant moment, this period actually, with an 'X'. So marked.

Okay, this has been one of my longest entries I guess. In a way that's good, really, since I know length of post is inversely proportional to readership. I hope the length of this post has sorted out, by means of the attention span length, the readers who read blogs for fun or because they have nothing to do, and those who read my blog because they probably treat me as a friend they care for, or at least care enough to be willing to read an uberly-long entry.

If you've braved the entire post and are now reading this, congratulations. I appreciate.



Music of the Moment: Oasis' Champagne Supernova
Currently feeling jaded.