Lost and Found

Lost and Found

After calls to this Suntec phone hotline that was forever busy (provided too by this annoying information centre lady), calls to ShiHui and WeyLing of Choir, calls to SMRT bus company by Yishu, a trip to DBS to get a replacement for my ATM card, a trip to OSA for application of a new EZLink card and a report of lost matric card, I finally have my wallet back.

Thank you to Mr Chia, the taxi driver, for calling Wee Teck, this friendly Admissions Officer (whose calling card I luckily kept in my wallet), who in turn emailed me to contact the God-sent driver.

This taxi driver has got to be of a rare kind. I called him up as soon as I read Wee Teck's email, and he so happened to be in Clementi, the small town closest to NUS. At first I thought he was irritable, since he insisted that I meet him at that precise moment since he may not be driving near NUS when I was free. I was preparing for the last Choir practice of the semester at around 7pm, and was hesitant to go and meet up with him in Clementi still. It was 6:30pm.

I was heading for the bus stop when he called again, and kindly offered to meet me inside NUS. I had trouble explaining where Kent Ridge Hall was (it's not on Kent Ridge Crescent anymore), and we had a long phone call as I was leading him around (he was driving, see). An A1 bus luckily came, and I called him up again to meet me at the more prominent bus stop of Prince George's Park.

He came after a few minutes, and pulled out the wallet from the back compartment. He was so nice about the whole thing I wanted to pay him, at least for the missed minutes of his working hours in his trip to meet me, or show my gratitude somehow for the sheer kindness I didn't quite expect. "No," he says waving his hand, "it belongs to you." He offered a handshake, and I was most pleased to have chosen to ride in his taxi that fateful Saturday night.

God bless that good man.

***

NUS Choir practice was good; it was our last meeting for the semester, at least before we do our caroling. We were doing several Christmas songs in one go, and you know how Christmas songs are, they cheer you up effortlessly.

The previous conductor, Terrence, was selling his suit to me, as we all were required to have our measurements taken for a brand new suit for the Varsity Voices Concert in late February. Good thing I missed the practice when the tailor was taking measurements, because now I had a rarely used suit at a much lower price! It was fresh from the dry cleaners, and it seemed to fit quite well, except for the pants, which I had to refuse. But the coat and the elegant white polo (which he gave for free) fit quite nicely, and I got it for 50bucks! That's virtually a steal. The other choir guys have to shell out some 150+ bucks for the coat and pants only (no white polo yet) and that in fact, is a reduced price already after the 90bucks subsidy from Centre for the Arts. I still have to get the pants, but that will be quite okay.

***

And oh, guess who got an A in his Singapore Studies Assignment 2 proposal? Wow, thank you Lord! I knew you wouldn't let me drown in my troubles right? Hehe.

Guess it's back to work for now. Tests coming up!