Surprise surprise

Surprise surprise

Guess who just got into CHEERLEADING COMM?!

Haha! Who would've thought?! On one hand, I feel that I've become so desperate I decided to tap that inner barker in me, just to earn hall points. BUT then again, I've always enjoyed yelling cheers in my high school days, and now in University, I've become quite "on" (Singaporean(?) word for "active" or something) in the cheers and yells for my Orientation group, as well as for Kent Ridge Hall in the NUS Rag and Flag Day.

Thursdays and Fridays are my longest days, as I've always said, and last night (Thursday) at 11:15pm, after two exhausting but enjoyable choir practices on top of my busy day, I went for the Cheerleading Comm interview. "Why do you want to join Cheerleading Comm?" this friendly girl Yan Yan smilingly asked. She was beside Weiyi, a very approachable fellow D-blocker, who was ex-CL head and now head of Recreation Comm.

I hesitated a bit, thought for a while (I'm not sure if I thought hard enough though), and decided to go for the road less traveled.

"The honest answer to that question is that.. I was rejected by three comms," I said with what I hoped to appear as a grin. "BUT," I hastily added upon seeing their smiling faces, "I've always surprised myself with something new in Singapore, like the Choirs I joined, when I never had choir experience in the Philippines. Besides, I was one of the barkers in our Cheerleading in high school. They got me because of my big voice and, um, I can clap loudly." Haha, I found that hearing myself say that last bit rather amusing. Hehe.

They made me do a cheer, I wasn't prepared, I was buying time and all, but I think they ultimately appreciated my cheerful energy and loud voice. Pakapalan na ng mukha eh. Hehe. I even gave a little sample of the bipbipbopbidipbidipbopbop cheer, which is one of those cool nonsensical cheers that surprisingly sound good.

Anyway, I have to earn more points still if I'm really intent on staying back in KR. The HPB and Hall Production Comms (yes I'm still watching their list of succesful applicants) found a bunch of new members in the last round, and the openings are getting fewer and fewer, meaning my chances of being a second-class member (yes I had to swallow a huge chunk of pride) are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Come to think of it, as was pointed out to me, maybe those comms didn't get me since I told them I was going home to the Philippines during the Christmas holidays. Their main activities are going to be held in January, see. Or, maybe they've just got uber high standards and I don't quite make the cut. Nah, I prefer the former.

***

Oh yeah, we're confirmed to be performing to the PAP (People's Action Party) next Saturday! And of course, my ticket to that performance is my favorite NUS Choir. Hehe. It's the PAP's 50th Anniversary Gala Dinner, and we were chosen to sing. If PAP doesn't ring a bell to you (I was clueless too a few months ago), it's basically Lee Kuan Yew and Co. Quite cool eh? LKY + ex-PM Goh Chok Tong, and current PM Lee Hsien Loong will be in the audience.

Get this: we had to submit our FIN/IC number and a passport-size photo for our security passes! So in yesterday's NUS Choir meeting, those who didn't have photos had an impromptu picture-taking session just so we could all perform next Saturday. Although I think the whole security thing is a teeny bit absurd, maybe I just have to realize these are Singapore's bigwigs, and of course, LKY is a worldwide celebrity almost always equated with SG's exponential growth and progress and all. He's my Uncle Tito's idol too.

***

Too long entry already! Guess I better rest since I aim to beat my Indonesian friend Johni to Statistics class tomorrow morning (later at 8am) since he says that I almost always turn up only during the 9am break (which is not quite untrue as well haha).

That's all the blogworthy stuff I have for now, but before I enjoy the comforts of my bed, let me just congratulate MIKE for finishing his final final exams, and wish JAY a safe trip to Davao.

G'night!