Happiness

Happiness

You know the thing about happiness. It's different for everyone, and it comes in various shapes and sizes. I shall not go deal with philosophical questions as (Kris Aquino-style) "Happy ka na ba?" or (Michelle Branch-style) "Are you happy now?" because well, I don't really know. Kerwin seems profoundly happy (and it's unfair a bit), but that's beside the point. What I really learned this summer is that a good deal of happiness can be derived from one loooong vacation. :D

I remember Karen saying, in response to my (then) plans of travelling around Manila and Los Banos, that I've been on one long vacation this summer, what with the Czech trip and all. And come to think of it, it's been one long and happy ride indeed.

What was not a long and happy ride (it was only long) was the trip from Singapore to Manila on June 26th. Still refusing to spend my remaining money (my DBS savings account had an alarming double-digit figure then, which had earlier even sunk to single-digit when I arrived from Czech) on a taxi early in the morning to catch the 7am Tiger Airways flight, I decided to travel by bus and MRT to Changi Airport at 9:30ish and spend the night at the airport. (Again, thanks loads to Arthur for letting me bunk for free at his place for more than a week.) I didn't regret doing it, but I so wish I was able to sleep for at least 3 hours and didn't have an annoying stiff neck from sleeping on the hard plastic chairs.

Tiger Airways is very good if you have budget constraints. If you're a tourist, however, DON'T GO FOR IT. There's no in-flight entertainment, no food (unless you want to buy cup noodles for $3 or a small burger for $5), no monitors on the plane, the flight attendants aren't too friendly, and you land in Clark in Pampanga. Landing in Clark in Pampanga isn't necessarily a bad thing since one saves by skipping NAIA's terminal fee, and if you're headed to Megamall or Pasay and you don't want to take a cab from NAIA, then Clark is it for you, since Philtranco buses will lead you there. There and nowhere else, though. So if you live in Bulacan, which is along the way to Metro Manila, you have to take a cab from Clark or go to Megamall and take another bus (or cab) to Bulacan.

Megamall was perfect, since Jay told me that I can get an easy bus across the mall's main entrance to Los Banos, where he and my sister study. Another bus ride, then I found what Ferron was describing. Haha my apprehensions about not seeing the big sign were unwarranted, as only a blind person will miss the building marked Olivares Plaza.

I waited at Jollibee for Jay, and was pleasantly surprised by the security guard's hospitality. He didn't need to open my big bags for security purposes, and just used the garret, and correctly guessed that I was bringing clothes. Friendly security guards. Haha one indicator that I was really back in Philippines already. (They don't even have security guards in SG, so there.)

Jay arrived and then we took a jeep to enter UPLB. Moments later I'd see my sister, and a whole lotta high school friends in LB.

Long story, and I've just been yakking about stuff before the actual meet-ups. Haha, I've run out of money to continue typing this here, so I'll blog again in the near, or not-so-near future.

It's good to be home. :D