Mad Season

Mad Season

In our frenzied singing amid our mugging session in the eerily quiet AS4 Building the other night, Karen and I were discussing our favorite lines from this Matchbox Twenty song. The entire song's terrific, and it's really a feel-good tune (although the lyrics seem to say otherwise). I'm gonna be brave enough to call it one of those modern classics in alternative music.:)

I feel stupid, but I know it won't last for long
And I've been guessing and I could have been guessing wrong
You don't know me now, I kinda thought that you should somehow
Does that whole mad season got you down?


I feel stupid, but it's something that comes and goes
And I've been changing, I think it's funny how no one knows
We don't talk about the little things that we do without
When that whole mad season comes around

So, why ya gotta stand there looking like the answer now?
It seems to me you'll come around
I need you now, do you think you can cope?
You figured me out that I'm lost and I'm hopeless
I'm bleeding and broken, though I've never spoken
I come undone.. in this mad season

I feel stupid, but I think I've been catching on
I feel ugly, but I know I still turn you on
You grown colder now, torn apart, angry, turned around
Will that whole mad season knock you down?

So are you gonna stand there, are you gonna help me out?
We need to be together now
I need you now, do you think you can cope?
You figured me out that I'm lost and I'm hopeless
I'm bleeding and broken, though I've never spoken
I come undone.. in this mad season.

And now I'm crying, isn't that what you want?
And I'm trying to live my life on my own, but I won't, no
At times I do believe I am strong
So someone tell me why, why, why, do I, I, I, feel stupid.

And I come undone, well I come undone

I need you now, do you think you can cope?
You figured me out that I'm lost and I'm hopeless
I'm bleeding and broken, though I've never spoken

Well I need you now, do you think you can cope?
You figured me out, I'm a child and I'm hopeless
I'm bleeding and broken, though I've never spoken
I come, oh, I come undone in this mad season
In this mad season
It's been a mad season
Been a mad season

(Thanks to letssingit.com)


Karen says her favorite line is "I feel stupid, but I know it won't last for long". I'm not sure if she meant this in the context of the present Mugging Season for the exams, but I certainly meant it when I said my other favorite line is "I feel stupid, but it's something that comes and goes". Haha, because really, "At times I do believe I am strong / So someone tell me why, why, why, do I, I, I, feel stupid".

But of course, my favorite favorite line is, "I feel ugly, but I know I still turn you on". Harharhar. I don't think I wholly meant the second half of the sentence though, but it just sounds good, doesn't it? :D

I'm posting this stuff here, because really, pre-exam season is driving me mad, and lately, I've been rather annoyed with myself for not getting into the "study mood". My biological clock is screwed up already, and I can't seem to get anything done during the day, and lately, at night as well. Bad. And it's mad season, really. I doubt if anyone in NUS is getting any good sleep.

Come to think of it, several parts in the song are still applicable, like how I'm "bleeding and broken", how I'm "a child and hopeless", and oh yeah, in the context of my Calculus and Probability computations: "Why ya gotta stand there looking like [for] the answer now?" Haha. God help me in my problem-solving.

So, "Will that whole mad season knock you down?" Hell no, baby. As much as I'm struggling to get into the study groove, I'm gonna bulldoze my way, and it's gonna turn out super. Jesus help me.