Good Mistake

Today was a stressful day, and it isn't solely due to my Stats midterm test at 3 this afternoon.

Although of course Stats was a big factor. I reviewed my paper thrice, and I was almost confident I'd only get a mistake or two only. Turns out, I had at least 3 mistakes after consulting with the lecturer after the test. There were these tricky tricky questions, really, and for a few times there I could almost see the popping up of lightbulbs, but it turns out they did me more harm than good. My first answers were already right, and because of thinking too much (it was open-book too, btw) I changed it to something else. Oh well.

There was this particular question which I answered D, or "25", a change from my original answer of E, "There is insufficient information to answer the question". After much thought, I realized that you could do some standard deviation thing, and get the value of 25. Turns out E was the right answer after all, as a bunch of curious students gathering around Dr Gan (the prof who likes Garfield as much as he likes to digress..but it's all okay since he's funny) corrected me. Binara ba naman ako nung mga students. So here I must commend Dr Gan for smilingly giving me the best compliment I got on this sucky day: That was a good mistake.

The CS1101 test scores were released too. I'm about a point or two below the mean. Argh. I'm not sure if I should even be blogging this, as I'm not sure I'd like people to know too much about me. Especially if they like to sensationalize things, which is something I downright HATE.

Anyway, that's that. But those two tests didn't bother me as much as I was bothered by something else. It's about people looking down on my major: Statistics. It's about talking about me in the third person when I'm within earshot. Enough said.

Here's to more good mistakes, or better yet, right answers. And I'm not referring to test questions only.

G'night.


P.S.

Sorry Ferron I wasn't able to watch Imelda with you, Gelo, and the bridging kids. Not in the mood, not feeling well, tired. All valid excuses. I wanted to watch it though.

Happy happy birthday to one of my greatest teachers (and providers shempre), Dad. :)