SSA1206: Representing Singapore

SSA1206: Representing Singapore

My Singapore Studies module formally ended this afternoon. We had our second quiz, about film and TV, where I struggled to scribble everything I knew about the short video clips from the blockbuster hit I Not Stupid and the popular "national sitcom" Phua Chu Kang Pte Ltd.

I was surprised too, when Dr Holden clarified that there will be no more tutorials this week, when my tutor, Ms Wang, specifically told me last week that we would have one last one. Apparently, this last session was the end of it all, and Dr Holden gave a wrap-up of the module, and distributed some feedback forms.

I've always maintained that my SS module is my most enjoyable module this sem, and I am quite sad that it ends today. I've always kidded around, saying that I'm working harder on my SS, which is basically just a supplementary module, than my core modules for my major, Statistics! Haha. But really, I feel this SS would pull my grade average up, since I am not exactly excelling in my core modules. ;)

Anyway, I don't seem to find closure just yet, maybe because it's not over over, as the 2500-word final assignment is still due on Friday, but I just want to blog it in, that I had fun taking the module, and I am grateful for the exposure to different popular media in Singapore (novel, poetry, play, film, tv) and the insights I gained about Singapore as a whole.

BTW, this SS module is a new one, offered for the first time this semester, and I hope they keep it in the succeeding sems. I believe that "fun" modules should complement the more intense, technical, analytical ones, to keep us all happily sane.

Maybe I'll minor in English Studies or Sociology? Now that's a thought.