Choir chalet

Choir chalet

New word of the week: Chalet. Hah. I'd be the first to flat-out admit when I don't know something, and I'm rather proud of this trait. So as much as I tend to play around with words, I admit that my vocab isn't as large as some may think. Must read more. Or play crossword. ;)

Anyway, a chalet is, from what I gather, is a small holiday house of sorts, and that's what the NUS Choir got for itself at Sentosa last night. Funny, the whole outing at Sentosa was interchangeably called Choir Chalet/Choir Camp. Anyway, it was rather quick, but it was fun. =P

Remember how I worried a bit about my choir buddy buddies not being there? Well, they weren't! In fact, it was an estrogen-fueled event! (not that I'm complaining though) The girls dominated the whole thing, while I could only count the guys with my fingers. And we know that choir girls and guys have serious getting-to-know-you's to do, as they tend to stick with their sectional groups. And I was the only Year 1 guy there until Weiwei (from the other group Tenors too) came at around 5pm. And did I tell you I was the only non-Chinese guy too? But what I thought would be The Camp Joseph Turned Loner didn't quite happen, and I'm glad.

I was in loner mode, though, for the first parts. Only two other guys (and both seniors too)showed up at Harbourfront Interchange at 1pm, and there were more than 12 girls! The rest either went ahead a few , or were going on their own. The girls didn't quite know me, save for the higher-ups (naks), since we all have to talk to them right?

Anyway, it was a quick camp. Chop-chop Choir Chalet, I'd like to call it. I'm not absolutely sure, but chop-chop in Singlish is something like quick or pronto. Anyway, we had 2 exhausting sand games, which Team 2 both won (yey!). There was this crazy tele-match, where we had to endure 9 stations, which spanned a good length of beach, and then for the final station, we had to run across the hanging bridge (yes to the supposed Southernmost tip of Continental Asia), get into our respective tower (of sorts) to search for this tiny figurine of a soccer guy and run back! Exhausting, but fun. Had to strip a bit, since we needed my shorts and shirt (good thing I was wearing my short shorts inside for swimming, which we all never got around to do, btw) for some stations. That tele-match sucked the life out of me I tell you, all that running and digging and squeezing and blowing and balancing and golf-ball-passing and rubber-band-passing and needle-threading and duck-walking-with-feet-tied, and frantic searching -- but we won! And we didn't have to do the forfeit of going back to the hanging bridge and spelling something over and over with our butts. Yey.

After a couple of sand games we went back to the chalet. God it was a moviefest, a Survivor marathon (finale of Vanuatu.. I hate it when bad guys win [bad in the not-good-natured sense]), and crazy card games and mahjong. We watched The Incredibles (so incrrrredibly cute!), Shrek 1 (first time I saw it from start to end =P), The Glass House (we were waiting for something scary to happen but it never came), and everyone's favorite Korean movie, My Sassy Girl (FINALLY I GET TO WATCH IT!). It wasn't an all-the-way moviethon though, since we were alternately eating, watching TV, playing cards, mahjong, cooking/eating, playing some party games, or just talking.

So it was all night. While a few slept, it was an all-nighter for many of us. It was past 6am already when My Sassy Girl finished, so many of us decided to go for a walk down the beach. It was a most relaxing walk, I must say. I liked it so much I went for a round on my own too, even as the girls were inviting me back to the chalet already. No picturesque sunrise though, as the clouds were thick.

Many people had already left by 7am in the morning (a number also left during the night), and since VP ShiHui confirmed that there'll be no more activities for the day and that we had to checkout by 11am, the group of first years decided to go home and get some sleep. So at around 7:30, Shelley, Janice, Xiuyin, Huiyin, Iris, Huijun, Weiwei and myself made our way to Harbourfront interchange. Huijun and Weiwei were being extra friendly with each other the entire camp. Hmm.. blossoming romance I don't know.;)

Hmm.. I hope Lyndley uploads the photos soon! Argh I really miss my digicam now.

My arms and legs are still aching from the tele-match, and my eyes still sore from lack of sleep, but it's all worth it.



Music of the moment: Jamie Cullum's Everlasting Love (from Bridget Jones 2)
Currently feeling sore in the legs and arms.