Surprisingly busy

Surprisingly busy

All the while I thought I was gonna have looong days in Singapore what with my self-imposed schedule. But as it turns out, I'm pretty booked for the holidays, and now, as much as I am semi-lethargic half the time, I still don't run out of duties and activities to do and deadlines to beat.

I could have left for the Philippines as early as November 30, but I've decided to leave on the 21st or 20th of December (SilkAir help me out here!) primarily due to the NUS Choir carolling sessions, especially on the 18th and 19th at the Esplanade Concourse. It's sure a helluva big deal for a totally inexperienced kid to get accepted in the NUS Choir, so you must imagine how mind-blowing it is for me to stick around with them brilliant choristers as they (ahem, we) perform in public. (Although of course, I try not to appear too overwhelmed.. haha) Anyway, besides, I seriously need to settle my nerves when performing in public, so I deem this carolling thing a practice of sorts, aside from being a source of the subsidy, for the overseas competition next year. Ahem. (Yes I struggle to hide my "overwhelmed-ness" ;P)

Anyway, held yesterday was the first of the choir's carolling sessions. It was at this SAFRA place at Mt Faber. SAFRA is Singapore Armed Forces Something Something, so I thought it was all prim and proper and the don't-smile-too-much kind of serious. But it turned out to be one of the coolest recreation spots I've seen! It's some entertainment center that's almost like a high-end club, with a mall-like something, with a big pool and several smaller pools with slides and kidstuff, and a couple of floors with stuff. I wouldn't really know, since we were immediately led to our holding room which seemed like a posh executive boardroom.

The VJC (Victoria Junior College) choir, which sang in Singapore Idol, was also singing and hmm.. that ought to be a stimulus for tension righ? Haha. And to think both choirs have the same choral director, Mr Nelson Kwei. Anyway, the boys and girls from their choir looked noticeably younger than the NUS people, and for a while I realized for my age (18 thanks), I should be joining their bunch! I wonder what transformations I will experience (if I haven't already) in the coming years.

When we finally sang, we sounded erm.. not too good. See, we were made to sing on the stairs! There was this winding staircase going up to the second floor, and this huge Christmas tree in front. The arrangement was ludicrous, as each of the sections (sops, altos, tenors, basses) was arranged in a line, in effect hindering us from listening to our sectionmates (and my guide, Lindley, was hardly audible as he was in front of me). How's that for harmonization! There were no microphones, and people were talking around (it had the feel of a mall), so we were straining too, to have our voices heard. If that wasn't enough, a few seconds into Little Drummer Boy, where we the basses go "Prum, Prum", everyone had to stop and start over as the sopranos couldn't hear their cue from us. Whoops. And another time, while we were well into our long finale We Wish You a Merry Christmas, the speaker blasts some crazy music, momentarily distracting us, only to be turned off after a few seconds. Good thing this tenor Wei Wei decided to tell the conductor Yan Ting to finish the song, as she almost opted for an early finish due to the sudden distraction. Haha. After the performance, the bubbly conductor Yan Ting said she could see us blasting (the only way we could be heard), but could barely hear us. Hehe. Oh well. At least the crowd was an appreciative one. God bless you all. :) Besides, the choir didn't seem to be upset too much; in fact, we were kidding about the whole thing. Blame it on the happy Christmas carols. ;)

If it's any consolation, we were booked for the event, so we get paid no matter what. Hah, there goes another installment of my subsidy for the competition in Czech. Ka-ching!

So now that the next choir event is still on the 18th yet, I have more than enough time to focus on this article for the Ridge, NUS Student Union's publication. Hmmm.. what to write about I'm not sure yet, but I better figure it out before the December 10 deadline!

Oh, tomorrow, if there's still space in the taxi, I'm gonna be part of the send-off party again of the departing Pinoys. So that means another trip to Changi airport, and going home, well, I'm not sure if I can be tempted to keep off the shopping malls. Hehe. But really, I'd like to think I have good self-control this time (after I half-impulsively bought myself a Swatch watch at Jurong Point), as when Ferron, Jeunesse and I went to Orchard last Friday, I managed to be careful not to buy just yet. That, or maybe I'm just picky, or the stuff too pricey. I still have to go to Orchard at night around this time, though. Some spectacle they say, what with the lights and all. ;)

Okay, this post is getting too long now, and I better finish my TV series downloads. Or, I'll start reading Dickens' A Christmas Carol, or Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, or some Neruda poems, or I could start that article or clean up my room.

So little time, as usual.


P.S.
Oh yeah, thank GOD I decided not to go with Karen when she went clubbing. It was too eventful even for me. Hee.

And to Ferron, happy new shirt! (Haha, we bought identical brown shirts from Samuel & Kevin this noon.) I'll try to remember to SMS you whenever I decide to wear it next sem! =P