Low Disk Space

Low Disk Space

Still in the same sticky situation I was in the previous post (made just an hour or so ago), I braced myself for what seemed to be another streak of bad luck.

As I was downloading the fourth episode of the OC 2 through Bit Torrent, this annoying pop-up message appeared again on my laptop screen: Low Disk Space. It was the red one this time. (There are three of them messages, which I hope you never receive: blue [around 100MB left], yellow [less than 50MB or something] and red [critically low disk space of around 10MB or 1MB or 0MB even]). Having already ignored the blue and yellow messages already, because of my stupid pragmatic reasoning that what the heck, OC will be downloaded anyway, I could no longer simply brush off this red flag. The programs began to hang, the mp3 playing was becoming choppy, and the computer was virtually crippled.

I was choiceless. I finally (and reluctantly) clicked the Disk Cleanup button, and agreed to remove unnecessary programs to free up disk space. I didn't need to do so in the past months, as I've been testing the computer's storage limits by leaving space for at most only 2 TV show downloads, deleting them after viewing, and then downloading new episodes. It all went well for a while, but apparently, my music downloads have now used up the videos' space, and some programs may have to be sacrificed.

My ever-reliable Ares file-sharing program seemed to stand out as a major space consumer at 1GB+. As much as I use it all the time to download stuff, I realized I could delete it as I secured two versions after the older one screwed up. Brilliant, I thought. I could simply delete one copy to clear space, and still use the other for more downloads.

And so I excitedly clicked Uninstall button, and patiently waited as the uninstaller dutifully reported the steps of the process onscreen. OC coming up, I thought excitedly. Yey.

It took about two seconds before it hit me. MY FREAKIN' FILES IN THE SHARED FOLDER!!!

I clicked the X at the upper right corner of the screen, clicked the Cancel button, clicked the X button again, and over and over again, as a sense of panic washed over me like cold water.

But what the hell. The computer's memory was too busy, as it didn't even recognize my attempts to stop the process. And so, like any obedient computer, it flashed the steps of the process it just completed. In the list, I saw what seemed to be one of the most painful messages I've read in my life.

...
Removing My Shared Folder.. Done.
...

Noooooooo, I had said aloud.
I was crushed. goodbye to my downloaded 1500+ files in there. Mostly mp3's, some videos, documents and all. Resigned, I thought I was about to cry. Haha. It felt sucky since I earlier just transferred the new files from the other shared folder into this one to get rid of duplicates.

Pained, I opened my Windows Media Player to try to check if the files would still play. I grabbed a notebook, so I could list the mp3 files I wanted back, so I could painstakingly download all 1502 music files.

I clicked to play Tell Me How You Feel by Joy Enriquez, and waited with bated breath as the screen read, Opening Media, requiring me to wait. I half-expected it to say, as it did in a few other occasions: Cannot locate source file or disk.

But it didn't! Haha! And before i knew it, the R&B song was playing na! Haha. I wanted to jump with joy! God is good! Oh happy day!

Well now I'm happy. I called home, talked to Ma and Dad and Kai, chatted a bit with Brice who's at home in the Philippines already (grounded though haha), and good buddy Jay too for a while, and read some happy emails from my yahoogroups.

Hah. I told you it doesn't take much to make me happy. Well that's the drama of my life.