Talk about eventful

Talk about eventful

About time Blogger (or Blogspot) allowed me to post. Hehe. For some reason I was denied access the whole day. Maybe they're sending a sign that too much blogging isn't too good for the health? Or maybe they just want me to get a life because bah, my blog material isn't necessarily "blogworthy" just yet? Hah.

I was reading up on stuff, and realized there are other things more truly eventful than what I blog here. For one, there's this crisis in the Philippines, which turned up in even the front page of Singapore's Straits Times today. Turns out that, as I was complaining about the crazy intermittent rains soaking my newly-washed clothes for the nth time, other people in some northern parts of the Philippines were being driven out of their houses and onto roofs and tall buildings and evacuation centers due to landslides and flashfloods. Quite depressing, actually. And so it is, several families displaced, and there have been at least 300 fatalities. And if this wasn't enough, a new typhoon Yoyong (international codename: Nanmadol) is set to hit the same areas that the tropical depression Winnie has just devastated. That's just bloody depressing. Woe to you, illegal loggers, you. Check out the story here and here.

On a more cheerful note (as much as this is quite a jump from the tone in the previous paragraph), the Singapore Idol final showdown was aired live on NUSCast a few hours ago. Yey, Taufik won! Taufik, who's into R&B and soul, clearly had the superior voice over Sylvester, who had this rock star image. Sylvester a.k.a. Sly was okay, I guess, and especially when he did It's My Life by Bon Jovi. Some talent you need to pull that off, throaty voice and all. And when they both did Hoobastank's The Reason towards the end of the results show, it was apparently more of Sylvester's territory, as Taufik clearly had to switch to falsetto to hit the high notes, whereas Sly did it the rockstar way. But those were just the few bright spots for Sylvester. It was Taufik show, essentially. He pulled off Stevie Wonder's Superstition with great ease, performed the winner's single I Dream flawlessly as if it were written for him, and did an incredibly soulful rendition of some difficult and mature R&B song, Mrs. Jones. I've always been more of the R&B fan than the rock fan, so I knew from the night's first song (yes I haven't been watching Singapore Idol for months) that Taufik would get my vote.

Yesterday, too, I went to Changi Airpot to send some of my Filipino friends (Wayne, Cecilia, Michael, Diana, Jayson and the La Salle exchange studes Drews and Herbert) off. They're home by now! Korinna, too, was brimming with cheer as I sent her off this morning, but this time to only the taxi (hahaha). They must be having the time of their lives right now! Coming home will always be eventful, for sure. Sorry Kor, though, that I was too tired to go to Changi. Yesterday I was drained since I woke up at 9:30am (I slept at 5am too, remember), sent them off, had a long lunch at Changi's Burger King with fellow members of the send-off party Ferron, Robs, and one of Wayne's churchmates Czarina, then went (again) to Funan IT Mall to finally have my camera checked. Apparently, I would have to pay a small fortune to have it fixed. And guess when it'll be back? After New Year! So much for my planned photo-taking of the Choir Carolling, as well as those snapshots of Christmas in Singapore and Philippines. Hmph. ANYWAY, Robs surely enjoyed playing the free XBOX and PC games in Funan. Haha. So did I, really, so it's okay. Hee.

Oh, and today I had some glorious sleep in the afternoon. That ought to be eventful in itself.

NUS Choir first carolling practice tomorrow! Lord help me memorize the songs and the lyrics! (yes, I bet you don't memorize all the four verses of Joy to the World, hehe) Especially the tunes, since harmonization requires that the different sections sing different parts. We'll just see what happens.