Last Song Syndrome

Last Song Syndrome

Sometimes I wish that I was the weather
You’d bring me up in conversation forever
And when it rains
I’d be the talk of the day

...

And there could be no other way
‘Cause you're so, you're so lame
Your tired words are all, they're all the same
And I would walk, I’d surely walk away
If I wasn’t such a sucker for you

-John Mayer, Sucker


Lately I've been stuck with John Mayer ringing in my head. Not that I'm complaining, actually. I'm enjoying it, in fact, because for some weird reason, it ties up with my EN1101E (Intro to Literary Studies) class quite nicely! Bloody brilliant lyrics! Hah. If only to prove to Dr Yeo that not all pop songs aren't quite poetry in the truest sense. Hehe. I'd like to have Jason Mraz and John Mayer be exceptions. ;) And Alanis and Vanessa Carlton too, perhaps.

But it's not just one John Mayer song that's replaying over and over in my head. There's another, and it's this cool song about, of all things, daughters.


I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
She's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change

And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe it's got nothing to do with me

Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

...

Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without warmth from
A woman's good, good heart

- J Mayer, Daughters

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's one of those "Aww.." songs. Hehe. The melody's the typical J Mayer lazy, laid-back tunes, and the lyrics are the usual feel-good, insightful ramblings. Yey, just nice. The songs are poetic-looking enough for me, but if they don't look quite the part yet (at least based on my Lit module's standards), then maybe they should be sung and heard. Soft yet powerful melodies, with that unmistakable sincerity and feeling in his voice. Quite the songs that would make you feel good about the world.

Daughters is such a nice song! (Nominated for Song of the Year too, in next month's Grammys!) And, even if I've never done this sort of mushy-mushy thing before on her, I dedicate it to... tada, my sister! Yey. My pretty laughing sister Kai is graduating from High School in March, see. And unfortunately good big bro Joseph can't make it because he's being enslaved by schoolwork in SG during that time. But you do get your grad gift though, courtesy of Dad, which I shall search for at Funan sometime soon. ;)

I've read in some forum that Daughters has quite a sad meaning, about Dads leaving their families and neglecting their daughters, but walau, of course I don't mean that! It's just a simple moving song about daughters and parents and the L word. Or something. The thing about poems, anyway, as I've learned from today's class, is that they can be interpreted in every which way (as long as you can tell how you arrived at that interpretation of course), and that makes them all the more interesting.

Anyway, I'll try to find Kai a nice grad gift of my own (if I manage to save up), but for now, I'm granting one of her requests. Haha, to surf the net for the perfect prom dress! Fit for prom queen! Hah. It's a gruelling task, trust me, but what the heck. Well at least I can say I didn't maximize the free internet at NUS.

***

Tomorrow NUS Choir's going to practice with the Singapore Chinese Orchestra! I'm quite excited. I mean, singing is one thing, singing in public is another, and singing with an orchestra is yet another. I try not to be overwhelmed, too much though. Hehe, lest they discover I'm not exactly one of the "strongest links" in the Choir. But I'm not too lousy and I blend quite fine! I think. :)

Okay, that's about it! Mighty glad to have survived another day.


P.S.
And oh yeah, The Ridge finally came out today! Yey, and my article finally sees the light of day! Hehe. And it's about you, blogster, of all things. So.. now that you have your birthday gift, what about mine? =P



Music of the Moment: Go figure!
Currently feeling contemplative.