Not bad

Not bad

Hey blogster. Lalalilala. Free time now, sleep time supposedly. But since I have to get used to sleeping late and new zits and eyebags (that's University life for you), I'm gonna update a bit. It's not gonna be long, since I fully realize too that sleep will be getting scarcer in the next few days so I might as well maximize whatever I can.

So tenors had sectionals with me leading. Haha. And since the music room was occupieed by the A cappella group, good little first-time SL yours truly led the pack to surprise, my room! (Haha, good SL's clean their rooms early in the morning of sectionals day in case something happens, you know) And even Johni, who sometimes passes by my room, was surprised that my room was not in its usual state, if you know what I mean. So we used the musical scores in my PC to practice, and my good ol' Yamaha PortaSound! My PortaSound, ladies and gents, is probably one of my favorite oldest and still functional toys. It's a mini organ for kids, and I've had it since I was in Montessori, I think. It's light and small, only the length of one Joseph shoulder to the other, has two and a half octaves, and a host of buttons for rhythm, and another set for instrument types. And although the keys are yellowing and becoming too small for my fingers, I like it a lot! I use it for practising choir stuff on my own, and now the tenors are using it! Cool. I wanna buy a good keyboard sometime too, so I can finally be persuaded to brush up on my piano skills, but for now I'm not complaining with my little musical toy. ;) Sectionals went okay, I guess. Not bad. I should save my voice though, since I can't hit the high notes anymore.

Before tenor sectionals for KR Choir, we had NUS Choir sessions. The Chinese song is getting more manageable, and I'm enjoying singing lines I don't understand one bit. Apparently it's so hardcore Chinese that even Singaporean Chinese fellas in Choir don't even understand some characters. Lei yu, I learned, from this PRC guy from basses, is the story of a seriously dysfunctional family with incest (mom to son!), seduction, rape, relations with a maid, lightning which kills them second generation, and suicide too. Something like that. And it's gonna be performed at the Esplanade for the Chinese Festival of the Arts on February 18th! I was excited it's currently in the Esplanade's brochure of events! We're just hitching on the performance of some acclaimed orchestra and some musical geniuses, actually, but it's with the Victoria Chorale and the Singapore Youth Orchestra so it promises to be cooooool.

I went for GEM1008: Evaluating Academic Arguments early this afternoon. Terrific module with a great instructor, Ms Peggie Chan. Ms Chan is this fortyish outspoken lady who is altogether witty and engaging and funny. It's a small class of twenty or so too, my group, and it's FINALLY just wonderful to engage in small classes once more where we students and teachers can freely exchange thoughts, in contrast to large lecture groups in lecture theatres.

It was the IHG Opening Ceremony too this afternoon, and of course the cheering team had to be there. I was screaming my lungs out for KR, and the crowd of Kent Ridgeans seemed to be reciprocating with much fervor and energy as well. And why not? By golly, we swept the track and field games! ALL of them, 200m 400m 800m relay or whatever, both male and female. It was one booming cheer after another, and it was a terrific morale booster for our hall, who usually ends up next to Eusoff and Temasek Halls in the IHG. Ahhh.. hall unity! Quite proud of the Cheer team as well! Other halls' cheers were rather lacking in energy or too screechy? Hehe. I try not to be biased.

Okay, so that was a long post. Sheesh. I should try shorter entries sometime. Brevity, Joseph!

So today wasn't so bad. Not bad at all, really. Especially when I expected to explode or implode or burn out or faint. Well, maybe another day. And maybe sooner than I think.

But so far, it's been good, never mind if I'm exhausted. I just hope this will be the beginning of an infinite streak of damn good stuff. ;)



Music of the Moment: Jamie Cullum's All at Sea
Currently feeling hungry for ham and cheese croissants!